Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My World Tuesday-Slater Park, Pawtucket, RI

"Tuesday is the second day of the week following Monday. The name comes from Middle English Twisday, from Old English Tiwes dæg, named after the Nordic god Tyr, who was the equivalent of the Roman war god Mars. In Latin, it is called Martis dies which means "Mars Day". In Romance languages except Portuguese, the word for "Tuesday" is similar to the Latin name: mardi in French, martes in Spanish, martedì in Italian, and mar in Romanian. Portuguese uses numbers instead of pagan names and so their word for "Tuesday" is terça-feira. third day.The English and Scandinavian names are derived from the Nordic god Týr"

How I long for the good weather days........
During these severe winter snow days (our 4th snowstorm, today 2-3-09 and it is still still snowing tonight) I long for the great outdoors for some fresh air and things to do at our Slater Park, Pawtucket, RI, which rests on the Ten Mile River that borders Pawtucket and Seekonk, Ma.

This park is beautiful and very well kept and clean for a city park. My first home was an apartment at 80 Ashburne Street which was in walking distance to this great place. When the days were beautiful, warm but not steamy hot, I would take the baby carriage out and take my firstborn son, John Michael to this park.


When we moved to Lincoln in '72 we still made many trips to this park and especially when our boys were young they just loved to visit the animals at the zoo and to especially see Fanny the
elephant and feed her peanuts.


They loved as they grew older to ride the carousel by Charles I.D. Looff. This Slater Park Carousel in Pawtucket (1894) This Carousel is said to be the fastest of the Looff carousels, another one is in Riverside, RI where there used to be a fabulous amusement park called Crescent Park.

When my husband and I got married in '69 were had our wedding party photos taken by the gazebo at the front entrance in the Marconi Gardens. There is not a time during any season that we do not mind visiting this special park. We like to have picnics by the Slater Park Band Stand and boathouse terrace watching the ducks and sometimes a swan gravefully swim by.This was the one of the special places we took our Grandsons to last Oct '08 when we watched them for a few days and re-visited the playground when their parents returned from their friend's wedding in NH.
Slater Park will always have a place in my heart for all the memories, a great Place to bring the Family.

12 comments:

Cherdecor said...

Your park is a lovely place. We were also married in 1969, and we were married in a garden. It was our administrator's backyard. There were roses everywhere, and big weeping willow tree, and a stream that lined the yard with beautiful gray stone that walled it on one side. It was beautiful.

Yes, I am ready for spring too!

Mahmud Yussop said...

Interesting place you've got here. I'm no.102 follower of my world tuesday. That's how I come to know your nice place. BTW I'm a granpa too!Besides Bintulu you can explore another favourite city of mine at http://mykuchingklikz.blogspot.com/ Have a nice day.

Unknown said...

I love reading about the special places in someone's world.
You're all signed up at NE Bloggers!

George said...

What a beautiful park -- no wonder you like it so much. It's great you have such wonderful memories and I hope you can continue to make memories there.

Chat with Kathleen said...

Good morning Cherdecor,
Thanks for stopping by. I always enjoy your visits. We both have our 40th coming this year, mine is June 28th, when is yours?
Your wedding leaves you with such beautiful memories.
BTW, I read that you are teacher, so am I and I, too, am looking for Spring to get here.

Chat with Kathleen said...

Mahmud Yussop,
Thank you for finding my blog. I love meeting new people from around the world. I learned a new place today about your coastal town, Bintulu and that it is the capital of Bintulu District (7220.4 square kilometers) in the Bintulu Division of Sarawak, Malaysia. I will need to learn more, you have many interesting blogs.
BTW, Congratulatios on being a Grandpa. Isn't being a grandparent wonderful.

Chat with Kathleen said...

Elizabeth,
Thank you for signing me up your with the NE bloggers and welcome back, your visits are greatly appreciated.

Chat with Kathleen said...

Hi George,
Welcome back:)
I love that park and God willing I hope to make many more memories there as soon as the snow thaws.

Alettesiriane said...

Hello again and we say tirsdag yes almost tyrsdag!Thankyou for visiting me,but I just cannot take the credit of the centerpiece ,breast piece you looked at.It belonged to my great,great grandmother .But the colors have kept well.Also as you say it is a pattern you find all over ,and the name running water makes me think a bit Indian.

Janet said...

Hi, I am a New England Blogger too. I live in Plainville MA and have some memories of taking my kids to Slater Park when they were young.

Janet

Chat with Kathleen said...

Alette Siri Ane, Come back anytime, would love to chat with you, That pattern you call "Running Water" does sound like an Indian name. RI and Massachusetts have many known Native American Indian tribes.
The Narragansett Indians still live in parts of South County as Niantic (tribe)and Wampanoag Indians.Massachusetts has the Nipmuc Nation Indian tribes.

Chat with Kathleen said...

Hi Janet,
Thank you for stopping by to say "hello" Slater Park was a great place, but I also used to take my boys to Jolly Cholly's in North Attleboro next to where you live. Do you remember that fun place?